No matter where you’re traveling, having a valid passport is essential for international travel. But how much does a passport cost in America? The price of a passport in the United States can vary depending on the type of passport and the country of origin.
How To Pay Passport Fees In The US?
In the United States, you can pay for passport fees using a credit or debit card, money order, personal check, or cashier’s check.
- If you choose to pay by credit or debit card, the card must be issued by a U.S. bank and must be in the name of the passport applicant.
- If you choose to pay by money order, the money order must be issued by the U.S. Postal Service or by a commercial money order provider such as Western Union or MoneyGram.
- If you choose to pay by personal check, it must be drawn from a U.S. bank and must be written in the name of the passport applicant.
- If you choose to pay by cashier’s check, it must be issued by a U.S. bank in the name of the passport applicant.
And remember, you cannot pay for passport fees with cash, traveler’s checks, or foreign-issued checks and money orders.
How Much Does A Passport Cost In America?
Passport Cost For US Citizens
The cost of a passport for US citizens depends on the type of passport you need.
- For example, a standard adult passport costs $110, while a passport card costs $30.
- For those under the age of 16, the cost is $80 for a passport book and $15 for a passport card.
Passport Cost For Non-US Citizens
For non-US citizens, the cost of a passport can vary depending on the country of origin.
- A passport for a citizen of Canada costs $135, while a passport for a citizen of Mexico costs $107.
Renewal Passport Cost
If you need to renew your passport, the cost is typically lower than the cost of a new passport.
- A standard adult passport renewal costs $110, while a passport card renewal costs $30.
- For those under the age of 16, the cost is $80 for a passport book renewal and $15 for a passport card renewal.
Expedited Passport Cost
If you need your passport sooner than the standard processing time, you can pay an additional fee for expedited processing.
- The cost for expedited processing is an additional $60 for all passport types.
How Long Does A US Passport Last?
A U.S. passport typically lasts for 10 years from the date of issue, although this can vary based on the age of the passport holder at the time of issue.
- For adults over the age of 16, a passport is valid for 10 years.
- For children under the age of 16, a passport is valid for 5 years.
When a passport expires, the holder must apply for a new one in order to continue to travel internationally. The process of obtaining a new passport is the same regardless of the age of the passport holder.
- An application must be filled out, the appropriate documents must be submitted, and the correct fee must be paid.
In some cases, a passport can be renewed without having to reapply for a new one. This is called a passport renewal. It is available for U.S. citizens who still possess their expired passports and who have not had any significant changes in their appearance.
- In such cases, a passport renewal form must be completed and the appropriate fee must be paid.
It is important to note that a passport is only valid until its expiration date. After that, it no longer serves as valid travel identification and must be replaced. It is recommended that individuals plan to renew their passport at least nine months before it expires in order to ensure that they have a valid passport for international travel.
No matter where you’re from, it’s important to know how much a passport will cost in the US. With the right knowledge and preparation, you can be ready for your next international adventure!